Thursday, April 12, 2018

Tourists

Today was a busy day!

Tiananmen Square



Forbidden City



Liam randomly remembered that there were 999,999 steps or something in the Forbidden City. Our guide, Eric, was impressed. (Proud Mama) It is 999,999 rooms. Only odd numbers for the Emperor’s residence of the Ming and Qing Dynasties. There was much talk of concubines and Liam couldn’t help wondering how his wife felt about that.

There are many renovations occurring. Here are before and after photos of repainting -- the gold paint is real gold.




The Emperor’s winter garden.


Lunch and dinner (Peking duck) were at local restaurants where Craig and I were the only Caucasians. Not a fork in sight. Beef, pork, and of course, tofu for me. The kids couldn’t get enough of the beef dish at lunch but I don’t think Liam will be trying duck skin again anytime soon. Peking Duck in Peking. I was too tired to take a picture.


Temple of Heaven


Liam was interested in the Magpies - after some running around this ancient tree he was able to get a picture of this one.


This evening we saw a Kung Fu show, had dinner, and I think I was asleep before my head hit the pillow at 8:00.

I commented to Kyra at one point today that Craig and I were the only Caucasians around and were the minority for a change. Kyra, very matter of factly, pointed out that we wouldn’t really know what It is like to be the minority because this is only temporary. How very right she is.