Saturday, June 27, 2009

Things and Stuff

Liam's Tummy:
Liam is still experiencing bouts of tummy pain in the middle of the night or when he wakes up.  I called the doctor on Friday and he said take him off of all dairy.  I thought she said he could still have the lactose free milk.  Apparently, the giardia eventually breaks down the intestinal walls and even after the giardia is gone, the intestines still have trouble processing foods - especially dairy.  (Has anyone ever noticed that we are the only beings on the planet that consume milk products as adults? Just a random thought...) The tummy pains have continued so a friend suggested I go dairy free completely.   Liam didn't like soy milk (which is from a soy BEAN, so is it a gas producing food?) , so I went to the natural foods store today and loaded up on a variety of dairy free products to try - enriched rice milk, coconut milk, hemp milk (all recommended by my friend whose daughter is allergic to dairy), rice yogurt, coconut milk yogurt, a lactose free vegan cheese and soy ice cream.  We'll see what he likes and hope it helps.  Meanwhile, we go back to the dr. for a growth chart check on Thursday. 

The good news is that last night when Liam was crying with tummy pains - he was in bed with me and he let me rub his back.  A breakthrough. 


Liam's Sleep: (or lack thereof...)

Liam napped 2-3 hours a day in China and still went to bed at 8:00.  I guess it was mental/emotional exhaustion or something because if he even naps 45 minutes now, he's up until 10:00 pm!  I had planned to use his naptime for special time with Kyra, but that is not to be.  

Liam and Kyra both fall asleep quicker and sleep better in bed with me.  Bottom line --- I NEED SLEEP!  So, we now have a family bed... sort of.  Craig, Kyra, Liam and I all lay in bed at 8:00 until the kids are asleep.  Craig and I get back up for awhile and then I squeeze back in bed later with the kids and Craig and the dog snuggle up in the guest room.  Obviously not the ideal situation, but I truly don't think our kids will be sleeping with us forever, so for now, we're just happy that they're sleeping!   

Liam's Language:

Liam's receptive language has improved by leaps and bounds!  He understands more and more things that we say.  He parrots a lot of words and has begun to use a few words in proper context. Here are some of the words that he uses appropriately: 
Daddy, Mamma, Mommy, Kyra, Sophie, LaLa, airplane, hello, b-bye, and car. 

He says three 2 words phrases: 
Daddy work, airplane sky (while pointing up at an airplane in the sky) and all done (when we're finished reading a book)

He still says m-goi when he wants something which is Cantonese for thank you for a service or please.   He still chatters away, but I have no idea if it's Cantonese or babble.  

They want to provide an interpreter for his Early Intervention Assessment, but when a lady at the local Chinese restaurant spoke to him in Cantonese - he shrank into my body and didn't reply to her questions.  I think he's afraid she would take him from me! 

Liam's Character:
Liam IS a character!  He's just so darn cute and his antics are so hilarious - he keeps Craig and I laughing.  He's destined to be the class clown!

Liam's Shoe Preference:
Craig is a bit worried about Liam's shoe preference.  He loves to put on Kyra and Mommy's shoes!   Slip-ons, flip flops, high heels, cowgirl boots, feathered princess shoes.... he loves them all!  


Liam's General Adjustment:

I think my neighbor's assessment just about sums it up.  He recently said something to the effect of:
 
I just can't believe it.  It's like he has always been here with you.

Craig and I agree.

Liam, take a bow!!!




2 comments:

XiaoXiao said...

Superman with mules! Definitely yours and Craig's little boy - he's a perfect blend!

Alisa said...

I hope it works out well for your little one! If he doesn't have a problem with nuts, almond milk has been our personal favorite for years. The new coconut milk beverage is also an excellent one for kids (personally we love the coconut milk ice creams!), and many kids like rice milk since it is lighter.