Saturday, November 7, 2009
What Are Little Boys' Nightmares Made Of?
Liam hasn't cried in his sleep for quite awhile now. But a few nights ago he started crying in the middle of the night. I tried to comfort him telling him "Mama's here" and silently fretted over what might have triggered the return of his nightmares - what had made the trauma of his little life appear in the night again. Then suddenly, Liam sobbed, "Turtle...bite...Liam." I smiled. He likes to pretend that our stuffed animals have bitten his finger so I'll kiss it.I told him the turtle was all gone and kissed his finger. He slipped back into his steady snores. This is what little boys' nightmares should be made of.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Oh yes, absolutely, nightmares should be so pure! (Wish XX's were such.)
Love and Kisses to bitten fingers,
us
What a truly beautiful bog entry!! I cried. To think the little one has seemingly erased the bad memories so well that he must come up with ones of fantasy.
More entries like this, please, that show an insight into how Liam and Kyra think, cope, and grow. Love, LaLa
I came back to the blog today just to re-read what I call The Nightmare That Wasn't . It touches me that in the few months Liam has been with you, he is feeling safe enough to go back to sleep, even when an imaginary turtle bites him. Bless his little heart and bless you, Kim, for your innate mothering skills....he is so lucky to have you for a mother. He will thank you many times some day for your devoted care and kindness.Love, LaLa
Post a Comment