Tuesday, August 25, 2009

T'was the Night before Kindergarten

T'was the night before kindergarten when all through the house, not a creature was stirring, except for the mother.  She was filling out paperwork, eating chocolate, and hyperventilating. 

I can't believe my baby girl is starting kindergarten tomorrow.  It was just yesterday that her Chinese nanny put my little muffin in my arms as I cried tears of happiness.  Just yesterday I was giving her a bottle, changing her diapers, and watching her toddle down the hallway.  

Today, I took her to meet her kindergarten teacher.  Her first comment when she saw the teacher?  "This will be my first teacher that wears glasses!"    So we're off to a good start!

 We waited in line in an unbelievably hot classroom to meet her teacher.  Kyra could barely mumble out hello and then headed to the door while I gave a letter to the teacher warning her that drop off might not go very well.  Traditionally, the teachers have had to pry Kyra off  my leg.  This year they'll have to pry her out of her car seat if she has separation problems.  I'm worried.  This will be harder for me than for her! 

This evening she told her daddy that her teacher was really nice.  That's a good sign! 

And then she showed me that she's really starting to grow up.  Kyra very seriously said,  "Mommy, I'm a little bit excited about tomorrow and a little bit not excited.  I want to learn to read, but I don't want to be away from you." 

 And then, the cherry on top of the sundae - Kyra is going to ride the school bus home.  I don't know if I can bear to see her little face in the window of a big schoolbus.   I think she's a little scared of the school bus and I think Liam is going to be A LOT jealous!

And I heard him exclaim as the bus drove out of sight,  "Mommy, when can I ride a school
bus?"



 

2 comments:

XiaoXiao said...

Hope it goes well today! XX said she wanted to give Kyra a message that school is great! Glad Kyra seems to be feeling that too. And yay for the teacher with glasses!

La La said...

Oh what a sweet sweet commentary on Mommy's little big girl goes to school. You are right: Can she really be five....seems like yesterday we were feeding her first french fry (remember it was so big and so long, she thought it was something to play with) and her first ice cream (remember how she'd hunch her shoulders and clench her fists for the word "cold"...oh the joy of those days when I was there and she was a baby. So sad to see them grow up so quickly...and a loose tooth too. Love, LaLa